Roma

Sunday, September 13

After 12 hours of flying we finally made it to Rome!  All we wanted to do when we landed was sleeeeeeeeeeep but we resisted the jet lag and went out exploring for a few hours. We were starving so our very first stop was food.  We stopped at a cute little restaurant and ordered a few pizzas....which took almost 2 hours by the time we had finished eating. These Europeans definitely live a much slower paced lifestyle than we are used to. 

We stayed at the gorgeous Boscolo Exedra hotel which was in a great area for strolling. After dinner we walked around the area a little and then finally went to bed. 

View out our window.

The next morning we woke up bright and early, thanks to the 9 hour time difference.  Our hotel was about 2 miles from the Colosseum and I just love strolling the streets and people watching so we walked there instead of taking the subway. 

 Just testing out the selfie stick. Oh yes we did.  I forgot the battery for my nice camera and so all our pictures were taken on my phone.  I cried about it for a minute and then I was like....hello I'm on vacation in ROME! What's to cry about.

The Flavian Amphitheater right there in front of our very eyes. I wonder how many times I told Dave to pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
Walking around the inside was even more incredible; it's so much bigger than I thought it would be. Thinking about the brutal events that occurred here gives and eery feeling. During a large event it was common for nearly 10,000 animals to be sacrificed in one day, along with 3,000 prisoners of war, slaves, etc. I think the ancient Romans could have used a little football or something in their lives.

Although the Colosseum still standing, what you see isn't what it looked like when it was dedicated in 80 A.D.   The entire thing was once covered in pretty white marble.  Once the brutal games were ended, the Roman Catholic church started stealing the marble from the Colosseum to build their churches and the Vatican City.  


Next we headed over to Palatine Hill and walked through what remains of the Roman Forum.



We took a gelato break and we may have both had seconds....because "When in Rome!" and because the gelato here is aMAZing. Then we wandered over to the Spanish steps and the Trevi Fountain. I was so bummed that the Trevi Fountain was under construction. I told Dave he has to bring me back so I can toss my coin over my shoulder and make my wish.







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS